Daciano da Costa

The Professor

Daciano da Costa joined the Faculty of Architecture at the Technical University of Lisbon in 1977 as a visiting professor. He made the transition to the Faculty of Architecture of the Technical University of Lisbon, reaching the top of his career in 1998 as Full Professor being distinguished with the degree of Doctor Honoris Causa by the Technical University of Lisbon (UTL). He concluded his 25 years of academic career as Full Professor.

"I believe teaching is a creative act."

Daciano da Costa, 1998.

See Publications

Professor

He started by programming and teaching the discipline "Drawing II" in the Architecture degree course, in order to create specialized options in Interior Architecture and Industrial Design in the final period of the training. In the Architecture of Design degree course, created in 1992 at the Faculty of Architecture of the Technical University of Lisbon (FA-UTL), he was responsible for the elaboration and implementation of the curriculum and programs of the fundamental disciplines, also assuming the pedagogical orientation of the professors who taught them. Retired in 2000, he continued to serve as coordinator of this course. He was one of the founders and scientific coordinators of the first Master of Design course at FA-UTL (2002), which was the origin of the current PhD in FA-UL Design.

Graduated in Painting from the António Arroio School (1943-1948) and the Superior School of Fine Arts in Lisbon (1950-1961), Daciano da Costa abandoned a promising career in the plastic arts wishing to invest in the design project field. He collaborated with Frederico George, his chief master, between 1947 and 1959. He then established his own studio, from which he developed a remarkable career as a designer. He grew up into the industrial design working field (mainly for Metalúrgica da Longra, from 1962) and in the design of public interiors: Rectory of the University of Lisbon (1960-1961), National Library (1965-1968), headquarters building of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation (1966-1969), hotels such as Madeira Hilton (1970-1971), Altis (1971-1974), Penta (1971-1975), Casino Park (1972-1984), Belém Cultural Center (1990-1992) , Municipal Councils of Lisbon (1997-1998), among many others.

In teaching, his testimony was passed on to successive generations of architects and designers, offering them their way of understanding the built environment. He defended the existence of a fundamental unity between the various scales of the design project - from the territory to the city, from architecture to the object of use -, praising its common heritage: the "culture of drawing", rationality and method . He understood that all objects participate in the construction of the human environment and that these only in their context can make sense, both in their physical dimensions (the constructed context) and in their cultural dimensions (socio-economic context, historical context ... ). While claiming this shared ancestral heritage, he was committed to affirming and defending the autonomy of Design.

Daciano da Costa's permanent restlessness, his ability to transform the mismatched signs of everydays reality into converging stimuli, the lucidity and intelligence with which he faced adversity to turn them into positive agents was one of the great lessons he left us.

Please note, your browser is out of date.
For a good browsing experience we recommend using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.